Friday, May 1, 2009

Go Here Now

Regent Square is where it's at. So long as "it" is fabulous food and drink. This time of year, as warm, sunny days are beginning to be interspersed with the cold, dreary winter days, Regent Square is especially enticing. Most of the restaurants and bars in Regent Square offer outdoor seating, which amounts to tables on the sidewalk. It is wonderful to walk the streets and see what the various restaurant patrons are eating. And the mix of people dining in Regent Square is as diverse as anywhere in the city.
So, go there now, and go often, being sure to hit up some of the following places:
1. Legume: 1113 S. Braddock Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15218
I was so excited to go to this restaurant, I didn't think it would be able to live up to the hype. I had heard so much about their seasonal, local cooking, and I had been reading their kitchen notes (found on their website at www.legumebistro.com)that I was so excited to eat at this restaurant such that anything less than absurdly amazing would be a disappointment. It did not disappoint. Everyone I dined with that night left with a full belly, a smile on their face, and an excitement for local, fresh ingredients. From the duck confit and wheat berry appetizers (the latter being served with homemade ricotta cheese), to the staple chicken cooked under a skillet, the dishes were flawless - perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, perfectly perfect. Dessert was amazing as well - we especially like the panna cotta served with candied figs. Along with the reasonable prices, the dedication to local ingredients, and the BYOB policy, Legume is a "do NOT miss going to this place" restaurant.
2. The Green Mango: 1109 S Braddock Ave, PA 15218
The Green Mango/Noodle Hut offers some of the best Thai food in Pittsburgh. It has been getting some negative reviews lately from some online review websites, but the food has been spot on each time I have gone. Having said that, I have only been there for dinner, as my job tends to get in the way of my passion for food. Go figure. Anyway, the service has been inconsistent, but nothing that I can't overlook for the quality of the food. I have a hard time not getting the roast duck summer rolls - the best summer rolls I have ever tasted. The noodle dishes are great as well, and the drunken noodles are a personal favorite of mine.
3. D's Six Pax and Dogz:1118 S. Braddock Ave., Regent Square, PA 15218
D's boasts a large selection of import and micro brews, both on tap and by the bottle. Mix-and-match six packs are available to go, which can be especially nice if you are going to one of Regent Square's BYOB restaurants. But, there is no need to leave D's to get good food. D's offers a wide variety of food, but most of the patrons eating at D's every time I have been there have opted for a hot dog (or three). D's hot dogs are all beef and served on steamed poppy seed buns. I have yet to enjoy one, but they look amazing and everyone around me seems to LOVE them.
4. The Map Room: 1126 Braddock Ave., Regent Square, PA 15218
I am not a connoisseur, but my good friend, whose opinion I trust on these issues, tells me that the scotch selection here is amazing.

No comments: